Online Sports Betting USA — Top-Rated Sportsbooks 2021
Ever since the Supreme Court overturned PASPA back in 2018, sports betting online has been taking the US by storm. A fast-growing number of states have legalized the pastime, others are sorting out regulatory frameworks, and more are looking to join the club as we speak.
This is great news for casual sports betting fans living in America. They no longer have to drive to the nearest retail sportsbook to place wagers on their favorite teams. They can do it from the comfort of their homes, or on-the-go, via their iOS and Android-powered mobile devices.
The industry’s best online sports betting sites have already entered the scene, offering top-notch wagering products to occasional bettors and seasoned pros alike. The lion’s share of sportsbooks provide juicy incentives to newcomers and ongoing users in the form of substantial welcome bonuses, parlay boosts, no deposit offers, and free bets promos.
That said, it’s high time to jump on the bandwagon. But before you swing into action, it would be a good idea to gain an understanding of how everything works. You’ve already made serious progress by landing on this page. Now you should leave it to our expert team to fill you in on all the fundamentals, including different types of sports you can bet on, where to find the top online sports betting sites, and more. Stay tuned!
USA Online Sports Betting: Legal Landscape
In May 2018, the Supreme Court made online sports betting legal in the United States by overturning a Federal law that prohibits sports gambling in the country. The ruling gave individual states the green light to decide whether wagering on sports should be legal within their boundaries.
Delaware and New Jersey were the first states to legalize sports betting, followed by Mississippi, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and two dozen other states. However, not all of them allow for online sports betting gambling. Some states, like Mississippi, have retail options only, requiring bettors to go to the nearest brick-and-mortar sportsbook and place wagers in-person.
New Jersey, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Colorado, Michigan, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, and a few other states offer online and mobile sports wagering. In these regions, online sports betting sites have released mobile apps that players can access from anywhere within the state’s borders.
Maryland, Arizona, and New York are pending regulatory approval and are expected to join the legal online sports betting USA scene soon.
Although most states have similar legalization schemes, each of them has taken a different approach to retail and online sports wagering. Most states have expressly prohibited high school sports betting, whereas wagering on collegiate events is predominantly legal.
Certain restrictions are in place to ensure that bettors are located within state borders when attempting to place wagers on the move. Most sportsbooks have in-built geolocation software designed to pinpoint your location, confirming that you’re situated within state lines while betting on sports online.
Online Sports Betting in the USA States
New Jersey Sports Betting
Pennsylvania Sports Betting
Michigan Sports Betting
Delaware Sports Betting
New York Sports Betting
West Virginia Sports Betting
Nevada Sports Betting
What Sports Are Available on US Online Sports Betting Sites?
All of our recommended sportsbooks feature elite betting programs covering all the mainstream sports and a couple of niche ones. The betting portfolios typically encompass all the major sports, namely NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL. Second-tier sports like golf, soccer, MMA, boxing, and tennis are also on board, and the wagering menu often includes a couple of outside-the-box choices like cricket, cycling, NASCAR, and table tennis.
Sports betting online sites found on this page offer in-depth coverage of prime-time events, both pre-match and live. Depending on the competition, you’ll find many bets, including moneylines, totals, point spread, futures, props, and teasers, to name a few.
How to Identify Top Online Sports Betting Sites?
Choosing your sportsbook using “gut instinct” alone can only get you so far. In such a competitive industry, and with so many great options to choose from, it takes a bona fide expert in the field to cherry-pick the best online sports betting website.
You need to carefully scrutinize various factors before choosing an online sportsbook. Your ideal betting site should provide the best possible wagering experience. To do that, it needs to excel in the following areas:
- Safety — In such a tightly regulated industry, one would assume that safe online sports betting sites are a given, but that’s not always the case. And since you’ll be disclosing a lot of sensitive information, you need to make sure that your chosen sportsbook uses bulletproof security measures. The safest online sports betting platforms utilize cutting-edge security protocols to protect the integrity of their users’ data and banking transactions facilitated on the sites’ servers. With safety mechanisms like 256-bit SSL encryption, your personal and financial details will be protected at all times.
- Bonuses — All the top rated online sports betting sites offer excellent bonuses to attract and retain customers, but not all promotional offers are created equal. When assessing a particular promotion scheme, we take into account its size and quality. If a sportsbook has a player-unfriendly bonus T&C policy, it will most likely be removed from our exclusive lists.
- Market coverage and variety — Those that want to tackle online betting on sports would probably want to have as many options as possible at their disposal. Therefore, we select only sportsbooks with rich betting programs and a wide range of wagering types offered.
- Competitiveness of odds — Line and odds shopping are an integral part of our selection process. We want you to get the best bang for your buck; hence we only listed sportsbooks with the most competitive odds on the sports betting online USA market.
- Feel and usability — The timing element is of the essence in sports betting, which is why it’s crucial to choose sportsbooks that are at the top of their game functionality-wise. The site must be user-friendly, intuitive, and responsive. Navigation should run smoothly, regardless of the device you’re using. Our online sports betting reviews should tell you which operators fit into this category.
- Banking methods availability — Sportsbooks do their utmost to fast-track deposits and withdrawals by adding a wide array of payment methods to the cashier. Still, not every banking option is available everywhere. The more payment solutions an online betting sports site has, the smoother your betting experience will be, and the higher that operator will rank on our list.
Finest Online Sports Betting Websites in the US
Pinpointing the genuinely best online sports betting site is by no means an easy task. Most operators are carbon copies of each other, so our team had to dig deep to pick out the finest options.
Without further ado, we present the most outstanding sportsbook for US players in no particular order.
|Online Sports Bettings App||Bonus||Bonus Code|
|BetMGM||Up To $1,000||PLAYBONUS|
|DraftKings||$50 free bet + Up To $1,000||–|
|FanDuel||Up To $1,000 risk-free bet||–|
|BetRivers||Up To $250||PLAY250|
|UniBet||$600 Risk-free bet||BETBONUS|
- BetMGM — While sports online betting online landscape is loaded with great sportsbooks, we give the biggest props to BetMGM. The gambling giant went live in New Jersey in 2019 and has since expanded its footprint to nine other states. Its core SPs include superb bonuses, live streaming capabilities, and an opulent betting assortment.
- DraftKings — It’s no surprise that DraftKings is regarded as a fan-favorite by many bettors, given the brand’s reputation in the DFS world. The biggest attraction of DraftKings is the operator’s iOS and Android apps, which are among the best in the business. The Boston-based sportsbook is a trend-setter and has introduced a couple of fantastic betting sports online features, including Live Play, which allows players to cash out a bet while the game is in progress.
- William Hill — In terms of sheer brand recognition, William Hill has no equal. The UK-based gambling titan crossed the pond in 2012, launching in Nevada. Since then, the sportsbook has amassed an impressive fanbase thanks to its stellar customer service, user-friendly website, and variety of betting options.
Biggest Perks of Betting Online Sports
Betting at retail, brick-and-mortar sportsbooks provides an authentic experience, which is something that can never be matched in the online realm. Yet, online sportsbooks have a couple of distinct advantages over their land-based counterparts, as you’re about to discover:
- Convenience — Online sports betting is much more convenient than offline. You can place wagers wherever you are, whenever you want; this saves you from having to make the trip to the nearest sportsbook location.
- 24/7 action — No matter when you tune in, you can find something to bet on. The best online sports betting operators always have something in store, be it live betting, virtual sports, or another form of wagering entertainment.
- Bonuses — Another benefit of dealing with online sportsbooks is that you can snatch many perks to enhance your betting experience. There’s plenty of promotional value up for grabs for all users, from sign-up bonuses to a slew of ongoing deals at pretty much every betting sports gambling venue that operates online.
How to Get Started at Online Sports Betting
Getting started with online sports betting U.S.A sites is a walk in the park. Registration is a highly intuitive process that should go without a hitch. Just in case some of you guys can’t find your way around sports betting platforms, we’ve assembled a mini step-by-step guide to show you the ropes.
- Click on one of our featured online sports betting USA sites, and you’ll be instantly taken to the sportsbook’s homepage.
- Hit the sign-up button (it’s usually located in the upper right corner of the page), and fill out the registration form. You’ll be asked to provide personal and account details like a username, full name, email, address, and the last four digits of your SSN.
- Go to the cashier to make a deposit. Select one of the sports betting payment methods from the list and finalize the payment.
- WIth your account fully loaded, go to the betting lobby and find your market.
- Good luck!
FAQ About Online Sports Betting
- 👮 Is it legal to place sports bets online in the US?
- It is in a couple of states, including Indiana, Colorado, New Jersey, Iowa, Nevada, Michigan, Virginia, Tennessee, West Virginia. Legal online sports betting markets are expected to show up in Maryland, Arizona, and New York in the foreseeable future.
- 🤔 Do I have to worry about my funds getting stolen while betting online?
- Absolutely not. The best online sports betting USA hubs use Fort Knox-like security measures, which repel any hacking attempts with ease.
- 📲 Is it possible to place wagers from my mobile phone?
- You bet! All sportsbooks are mobile-friendly and allow their users to bet regardless of their whereabouts. As long as you’re of legal age and located within state borders, you can indulge in on-the-go betting via your iOS, Windows, or Android mobile device.
- ❓ Are sports betting winnings taxable in the US?
- Yes, they are. Sports betting winnings are considered income, and you must report them on your tax return.