Sport betting in New Jersey, USA
Sports Betting Online in NJ: Opportunities and Options
To say that sports betting in New Jersey is an option is putting it mildly. In the past couple of years, New Jersey has become the US capital on sports betting. If you think that people from Nevada love to gamble on sports, then you should check out the NJ sports betting news – people there are crazy about gambling on sports.
This rise is mostly a result of the embrace of NJ online sports betting. The most recent report from February 2011 counts as much as 92.5% of NJ sports bets placed online. With a little over 20 sportsbook apps available to people in this state, there are plenty of opportunities for eager gamblers to place their wagers on the Internet.
Online Sports Betting NJ: What Can You Place Wagers On?
New Jersey online sports betting goes as far as you can imagine it. There are plenty of options for gambling in NJ there. They include but are not limited to:
- Football – NFL, NCAA, CFL
- Basketball – NBA, NCAA, WNBA
- Baseball – MLB
- Hockey – NHL
- Golf – LPGA Tour, PGA Tour
- Tennis – WTA, ATP
- Soccer – MLS, English Premier/Championship League
- Auto Racing – Formula 1, NASCAR
- Mixed Martial Arts
Laws and Legalities Surrounding Online Sports Betting in NJ
Have you been wondering: is sports betting legal in NJ? This hasn’t been the case for long, but the answer is yes. For a little over 4 years, sports betting online NJ has become widely available and popular.
For a long time, gambling in the US was most popular in Nevada. This is obvious – the state was the only place in the US where this was legal. They were also the first to legalize gambling on sports in 1949, after which they remained unique for decades to come.
However, very recently, they found their competitor – and a big one. As soon as legal sports betting in NJ became an option, the interest has been huge.
New Jersey was fighting the PASPA for a long, long time. In 2017, PASPA was struck down so the driving force behind all of it wasted little time to make sports betting legal in NJ. The first physical sportsbook opened a month after this, in June of 2017. Two months later, in August, the first app appeared – DraftKings Sportsbook.
Today, to immerse yourself in New Jersey sports betting online, you must meet two requirements:
- Be physically located in the state
- Be 21 years or older
Still, there are a couple of restrictions to be aware of. These include:
- Wagering on sports in high schools and the in-state college teams is prohibited
- Players cannot put wagers on elections (a NJ sports betting update: you can currently place wagers on Academy Awards and esports)
- None of the collegiate athletic events and betting events take place in NJ
NJ Sports Betting App Options for Players
As the interest grows, so do the options in terms of online sports betting New Jersey. Here are some of the top NJ online sports betting sites you can consider:
|NJ Sports Betting App||Bonus||Bonus Code|
|BetMGM||$1,000 Risk Free Bet||PLAYBONUS|
|DraftKings||Up to $1,000 Deposit Bonus||–|
|Caesars||Up To $1,001||LEGALRF|
|FanDuel||Up to $1,000 Risk Free Bet||–|
|UniBet||$600 Risk Free Bet||BETBONUS|
|SugarHouse||Up To $250 Bonus||PLAY250|
|PointsBet||2 Risk-Free Bets Up to $2,000||BETBONUS|
|WynnBet||$1,000 Risk Free Bet||–|
This was the very first application that appeared on the market, and it still remains one of the leaders. They have a user-friendly platform available via an app or online, as well as a live feature.
- William Hill
This is a UK-based bookmaker, but it has already appeared in many places in the US, including New Jersey. It offers all bet types and sports to players, as well as an attractive bonus.
This is popular both in the online gambling space and physically. It offers great mobile play and has an expansive list of offerings even in the niche sports markets.
Setting Up a Sport Betting Account: How to Do It?
It is very easy nowadays to place wagers on sports in the US. First, you need to pick a place to gamble. Make sure that you choose a legal and rewarding place with a good welcome bonus.
Any of the sites will require simple details and filling out some boxes. You’ll need to provide your personal information including full name, address, age, and contact information. The companies reserve the right to ask to confirm your identity and might request an ID, passport, or other proof to allow you to keep playing or withdraw your winnings. When you’re out of state, you won’t be able to gamble on those sites.
Pros and Cons of Sports Betting in NJ on an App
- Highly convenient – you can play from any place
- Great timing – you can place wagers at real time and check the odds at any moment
- Versatility – there are many options available for sports gambling in the state today
- Geolocation – you’ll have to verify your location before you can place your wagers
- Limited physical access – if you leave the state lines, you cannot play
- Space – many of the apps take a lot of space
Bonuses Offered at Sportsbooks That Offer NJ Sports Betting
Since this market is already very competitive, sports betting websites NJ offer plenty of benefits to reel people in. These include:
- Free bets in the form of funds to play with, usually given upon signing up
- Deposit matches where the operator matches your deposit up a specified amount (for example, they might match your amount by 100%)
- Risk-free bets/ cashback where the sportsbook refunds your money even after you lose it
In addition to these, you might come across many in-house rewards programs set as an incentive for returning players.
Players’ Options for Sports Betting NJ
You can now guess the outcome of many matches legally within the borders of New Jersey. When it comes to NJ sports betting online, there are plenty of options on the menu. Some of the main types of bets made include moneyline, point spread, totals, props, live betting, parlays, futures, teasers and pleasers, etc.
Banking Options: Deposits and Withdrawals for Sports Betting New Jersey
Players are also given many options for making wagers and withdrawing their winnings. Some of the banking options you’ll be given within this state include:
- Bank or wire transfers via e-check or ACH
- E-wallets like PayPal, Skrill, and Neteller
- Prepaid cards
- Cash at cage
- Checks or money order
Keep in mind that not all options are available in all sportsbooks, and they might not be available for both deposits and withdrawals.
Popular Sports Betting NJ Online: Placing Wagers on League partnerships
Now let’s have a look at League partnerships betting.
The MetLifeStadium is based in East Rutherford, which is the home stadium for the New York Jets and Giants. This means that there are many fans of NFL in the area, so you’ll have plenty of options to choose from. The main types used by players are live betting and props.
If you love basketball, you’ll love betting on NBA games. The Brooklyn Nets still have quite the following in NJ, and people seem to love the nearby Philadelphia 76ers and New York Knicks. The action for NBA betting is quite big these past few years.
Do you love the New Jersey Devils? Maybe you’re a fan of the Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers, or New York Islanders? Live betting on NHL matches has been trending in New Jersey.
Even though these four are most frequented, there are many more to consider.
Physical Places for New Jersey Sports Betting
If you want to place wagers in person, there are also many options to explore across the state. The most popular ones are:
- Fanduel at the Meadowlands (based in East Rutherford)
- William Hill at Monmouth Park (based in Oceanport)
- Bet MGM (based in Atlantic City)
FAQ About Sport betting in NJ
- ❓ Who regulates gambling on sports in New Jersey?
- The regulatory agency in this state is the New Jersey Department of Gaming Enforcement. They have a $100,000 fee for licensure and tax sports betting at 8.5% for in-person and 13% for online.
- 📲 Can I bet on these apps if I’m not in New Jersey?
- No. This is based on geolocation, which means that when you leave the borders of the state, gambling on their apps is prohibited. If you cannot verify that you’re inside the Garden State, you won’t be able to play.
- 🤔 Do the major leagues partner up with sportsbook operators?
- Yes. Each of the major leagues has partnership deals with NJ sportsbook operators, including NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL.
- ✔️ Why do New Yorkers bet in New Jersey?
- One of the reasons why NJ is such a gambling hub is because New Yorkers come to gamble there, too. The Empire State allows for sports gambling, but many of their locations are not convenient to people who live in New York city. There’s a lot of traffic, so they come to their neighbour to gamble.